January 22, 2020 – Often those reading the Bible skip the Old Testament and dig into the four Gospels or one of Paul’s writings. While the advent of Jesus, the birth of the church, and the spread of the Gospel are important, the wisdom of the Old Testament offers insights into living a God-honoring life. The book of Proverbs is such a book.
King Solomon wrote the Book of Proverbs to give guidance for many dealings. This twentieth book of the Old Testament is filled with a great deal of wisdom taken from everyday life intended to serve as practical guidelines for successful living. I want to share it with you. Here are a few principles emphasize in Proverbs.
- The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge.
- Watch over your heart with all diligence, for from it flow the springs of life.
- The integrity of the upright will guide them.
- The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and he who is wise wins souls.
- Commit your works to the Lord, and your plans will be established.
- A man’s discretion makes him slow to anger, and it is to his glory to overlook a transgression.
- Listen to counsel and accept discipline, that you may be wise the rest of your days.
- A good name is to be desired more than great wealth.
- Let another praise you, and not your own mouth.
- An excellent wife, who can find? For her worth is far above jewels.